I'm putting up a thoroughly redesigned site for one of my domains,
with all new pages using .shtml extensions. I'm wondering if this
sequence makes sense:
1. Replace www.mycompany.com/index.html with www.mycompany.com/index.shtml
on my server.
2. Add www.mycompany.com/*.shtml pages to my server.
3. Submit all the new *.shtml pages to the SEs.
4. Convert the old *.html pages to one-way bridge pages leading to the
5. Wait a month, pull down all the old *.html pages, and resubmit them to the SEs.
(External links to my site all go to the index page, so no problem there.)