Jim's Message Board
[ Reply To This Message ]

Re: Max: Commatization Prcesses
From Max on 11 September '98
adding to Max: Commatization Prcesses posted by Geoffrois~~~~~

>How does it work if I have a list of non-delimited words, but with delimited words at the end, like:
>"promotions business web sites promote announce promo, promote web site, business web site promotions, internet marketing."

As soon as a string of words contains ONE comma, it becomes a "comma delimited" string of phrases ... so the one above contains
this 'phrase': "promotions business web sites promote announce promo" instead of the string of individual words you had in mind.
If you want individual words AND a few phrases, the string has to look like this:
"promotions, business, web, sites, promote, announce, promo, promote web site, business web site promotions, internet marketing"

>Can the bots index both the commatized and non-commatized words in a manner that will function on both levels for the searcher, ie, delimited phrases, and non-delimited combinations of words?
I'm not sure what they would do if you had both single-word "phrases" and multi-word phrases. I have always used single words, under the assumption that I'm more likely to hit a combination of words
that makes a phrase that way than if I try to second-guess the user and create the optimal phraseset. In the event that another site has the specific phrase, I'll come in second. But I can match
more phrases with a list of words than I can with unique phrases, which improves the average search rankings for almost any phrase the user can concoct that is relevant to the site.

Replies from other people:

Reply to this message:

Who Are You?
Your name:
Home page title:
(optional)
Home page URL:
(optional)

If you'd like to get replies to your message by email, enter your address:

Your Reply:
Subject: