deadlock Message Board
[ November Full List | Reply ]

Re: hiding source code.
From Reginald at SarrCom.com on 20 Oct '00
replying to Re: hiding source code. posted by Lao

I read in another newsgroup there are some possible solutions:

"It is not possible to hide document content or HTML encoding from a user in the basic case. If the data stream is downloadable by the browser to be rendered, then it is available to the user to see as well.

I had always thought this was the end of the story, but several people have e-mailed to me reporting of methods which can be used to accomplish this with varying degrees of success.

Methods suggested:
- Use a Java applet to fetch the source code and display feed it to the browser (this will prevent the browser from viewing the source.) Someone showed me an example where this is done. This may be the safest bet, but download time is greatly increased (the applet was NOT small by any means.) Look around on Java code web sites for applets like this.
- Encode the data (either with simple encodings or more complex encryption) and use Javascript to decode it on the fly. Place the javascript in an external file and use the SRC attribute of the SCRIPT element to reference, effectively isolating it from the view of the browser."

My question is: does anyone know of a Javascript like this??? Please post it here and email it to me. Thank you.
Reginald.

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message