deadlock Message Board
[ October Full List | Reply ]

Re: Javascript redirection vs. Metatags
From Max on 16 October '98
adding to Javascript redirection vs. Metatags posted by Tony

>I have a site at www.treknet.net/~tony/index.html that I'm in the process of making for a client. The child pages have frames. I've heard that search engines can't search pages within frames, but they have lots of good content! I would like to submit the body pages (such as www.treknet.net/~tony/html/body_australia.html) individually to search engines and then use a javascript code to put the page back into the frame.
>Will Search Engines drop me from their list for doing this?
They will NOT index anything inside a script, which may have the same effect as if they drop you. They are "no-frames, text-only, no-script" browsers that you have to cater to.
Also, keep in mind that JavaScript cannot make it through some corporate firewalls, and that the publicity about JavaScript security holes has caused many persons to turn it OFF except when visiting trusted sites. They will see a blank page instead of the intended information.

What information are you delivering that can't be delivered via plain, no-frames, no-JS HTML pages? Why are these search-hostile methods necessary to get your information onto the pages? Have you told the client that frames will make the search engines avoid their pages and make it difficult for visitors to bookmark pages of interest?

Replies from other people:

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive
automatic replies by email)

Your Message