deadlock Message Board
[ November Full List | Reply ]

Re: Newbie - Yahoo?
From michael at The Body Electric Mall on 23 November '98
replying to Re: Newbie - Yahoo? posted by Rob Floyd

>Michael,
>
>Thanks for the response. I see what you are talking about but I was under the impression that Yahoo did not like much marketing hype. This was particularly in reference to the description and the title. We've kept the home page pretty bare bones.
>
>The subpages of course a have a lot of topical text. Too much in my opinion and we're doing fairly well on some of the pages. Even there in the sites like Alta Vista and Webcrawler we are having sporadic performance.
>
>Would it be better to add the topical text to the home page now to improve my chances to get on Yahoo?
>
>Rob
>

Yeah, that will most likely be the consensus, although I'm speaking for the group and probably shouldn't.
I haven't been through your whole site, but I can tell you this: Yahoo, is a tough one. Primarily,
(and I've talked to many people about this, including people at Yahoo) what they want is 'real stuff'.
While they don't take kindly to 'marketing hype', they do like information (in the form of text, largely)
that will be valuable to people running a specific search. So instead of thinking in terms of 'technical content'
and super-specific information found in your deeper pages, give people a precis of what your site is all
about in a broader sense. That's easier said than done, I know.

I just vacated my post as webmaster and took over design direction and visual marketing (which I'm better
at anyway). So I'm knee deep in demographics now. And the average web customer is extremely picky, and wants
immediate information. Actually, some of the studies I've read show that younger surfers like even more detailed
information right up front. Even more than the older crowd.

Anyway, I've kind of geared my view of Yahoo in this same way, using an interior, high-info, low-graphics page to
woo them into seeing things my way.

Having said that, I have yet to be listed on them. :) I'm told it may be the nature of the field Body Electric
specializes in. And we can't do much about that...but we keep trying. We've done really well on Hotbot, Excite
and Alta Vista. Still gunning for Yahoo though.

michael

>Michael,
>
>Thanks for the response. I see what you are talking about but I was under the impression that Yahoo did not like much marketing hype. This was particularly in reference to the description and the title. We've kept the home page pretty bare bones.
>
>The subpages of course a have a lot of topical text. Too much in my opinion and we're doing fairly well on some of the pages. Even there in the sites like Alta Vista and Webcrawler we are having sporadic performance.
>
>Would it be better to add the topical text to the home page now to improve my chances to get on Yahoo?
>
>Rob
>

Replies from other people:

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email: