Jim's Message Board
[ Reply To This Message ]

hmmmm, too tired to think of something catchy :-)
From Andrew Harris at Robert's Hot Tubs on 03 March '98
well, bored again, so i thought I'd pose an interesting question (ok so some of you are getting tireds of me.....tough)

ok, i kinda understand how the deep search engines work...the relevance of a listing is based upon many different thing...and different thing for different engines......(cowering, knowing Jim is gonna cringe) but, Yahoo ?

is Yahoo in fact a search engine, but the relevance is based only upon the title of your site and the description you provide to them (or the description they decide make up). ?

i get a FANTASTIC listings (almost always #1 or #2) with them for "most" all the search strings i "think" my customers will use. But if i put in words that are relevant to my site but dont exist in the name or descpiption Yahoo has, zip, nada, nothin, nota me anywhere.

So, point being, i understand your advise to keep the description you submit to them under 20 words, but, does the description get shorter as the name of the site gets longer ? (you're following this aren't you)........GET MORE KEYWORDS IN THE SITES NAME......maybe *L*..and forget about useing any words in the description that arent keywords (I'v seen sites come up with descriptions that look like a string of meta keywords.

but does density have a relevance ? ie; if someone searches for "frog" and you have that word in the site name AND description, will you get a better listing ?

i know i know, "its an honor just getting a listing in yahoo", or so iv been told, or beginners luck (eh jim?). but i dont believe it. i think there is a way to get past the "Yahoolagans" and its all in site content and how your site is presented.

well, that takes care of my boredom, and my dinners burning.....thanks Jim

Replies from other people:

Reply to this message:

Who Are You?
Your name:
Email:
Home page title:
(optional)
Home page URL:
(optional)

Your Reply:
Subject: