deadlock Message Board
[ April Full List | Reply ]

Re: Are copyright laws applicable to non-profit groups?
From Patrick at GrowSpot.com on 25 April '00
replying to Are copyright laws applicable to non-profit groups? posted by Jason Reed

>I have a small group of individuals that do some travel together. We'd like to use some content from other sites on a site of our own, such as listings of national parks, monuments, etc. The site is mainly for our own communication and planning since we all live throughout the country, but we'll eventually list our site with search engines to offer information and promote new members.
>
>Most web sites include copyrights and state that it is unlawful to copy anything on their site for commercial purposes. Does this mean we are exempt from this since we make no money, and have no future intentions to do so via our website? If we give credit to our sources, is this acceptable? Most information we would copy will be listings that we could gather ourselves, so it's basically a matter of conveinience.
>
>Also, what is the difference for websites that are ".org"? Do they have special limitations and/or restrictions? They are offered to the public, but seem to be handled the same way as any other site. Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

The ".org" is merely a way to help users distinguish types of web-sites. If you are going to a .org, you know it is (supposed to be anyway) a non-profit type organization. Same as a .mil is military, a .gov is government and .uk is based in the United Kingdom.

I'm not a copyright lawyer, but my understanding is, if you are "quoting" a text you can probably get away with using the text(as long as you credit the source), but you still can't reprint huge chunks of it without violating the copyright. However, being a non-profit you stand a much better chance of getting permission to use the articles, particularly if you agreed to insert a link back to the contributor.

Best of Luck!

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message