deadlock Message Board
[ October Full List | Reply ]

Re: SEARCH ENGINE
From David A on 19 Oct '00
replying to SEARCH ENGINE posted by Med

>Hello I would like to make a first aid and medical procedures guide. I think, the best solution, would be a search engine, but I dont know much of java script, actually almost nothing. I know a bit of HTML forms. I need help. It should be something like this:
>
>There is a frame on the upper part and a frame on the center.
>The upper frame contains the search engine dialog box, where you type the words. The pages are loaded on the center frame. For example, if one types "fracture", a index page will be loaded that contains the links for the pages that contains the word/has some content on "fracture".but I dont know much of java script
>
>keyword = fracture
>page to load = fracture.html
>links to display = osteology.html , bones.html , acidents.html , pain.html , ortopedist.html
>
>HOW DO I DO THAT? IS THERE ANY BOOK THAT SHOWS ME EXACTLY HOW TO BUILD SUCH A THING FROM SCRATCH? WHAT ARE THE THINGS BEHIND A SEARCH ENGINE THAT I AM NOT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW?
>
>THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!

Javascript NO. Frames NO. CGI or ASP with some database or PHP with some database YES. These will depend on what kind of server you are on.

There are CGI scripts available which will do a full text search of all your pages and return links to the pages that contain those words.
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Searching/

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message