deadlock Message Board
[ March Full List | Reply ]

Re: Need a free website wher users can post
From John on 11 March '01
replying to Need a free website wher users can post posted by Joe

>I have an idea for a new auction site that I think could be pretty good. At first all I'd need is a small, very basic website b/c of the time it'd take to get it goin. The problem is, do any of the free websites like homestead let anyone but the webmaster post? The users would have to post, and what about making it an auction? Is that even possible w/o expensive hosting and stuff? Maybe I'd just try a barter system first to see if I could get people to join.
>So I need a TOTALLY free site that allows users to post, and allows me to put my own banners on. Is there anything out there?

If you're talking about a real auction site, backdoor/frontdooor SQL that's like ebay or ewanted.com you're in for a big surprise. They're very expensive to manage. Even on a very small level these things can run a bundle. It's not really the thing you want to try on a free site. Everyone on this board will tell you the same thing. I'd research the development & managing of this type of site a little more before you consider it. On another note, there are still a bunch of these things popping up. LowestBids.com is promoting pretty heavy on the net eBay isn't going anywhere and Yahoo is free. I have a friend that has met with Dell Computers about building a site like this and they told him a million a year in service to support one million pages on a constant rotation. Like the 3-10 ebay deal. That was a projected figure about a year old now. Still, I'd look real close at it.

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message