Defense.
From Bill on 19 Feb '99
replying to Re: Thank you Bill! posted by Baz

>Thank you for your rant.

Uh, you're welcome?

>Whilst It makes sense to code your pages to comply to a specific
standard.
>
>There is little point when the major browsers available don't even follow the entire standard. And I'm not having a go at Microsoft here (Netscape haven't implemented the full Cascading Style Sheet standard in their browser).

Unfortunately, you are correct. However, the new NGLayout Engine from Mozilla does support W3C standards fully. Look for it to ship with the next major version of Communicator. You have to understand the engine that is driving this machinery.

>So whilst you go on about how everyone should code to standards because then all pages will look nice. Think about the mess the actual browser is making of your "Standard" web page.

It's not just about making pages look nice, it's about effective communication. Using a Standardized markup does not guarantee anything, but in all likelyhood your pages will stand up better, in more browsers, if you do follow standards. Including the next generation.

>Then think, if you really did care about your viewers - you would do your best to make your site work on ALL platforms, even if that requires checking what browser the viewer is using and dynamically modifying your code to compensate for browser incompatibilities, not just blindly following a standard because it is a "standard".
>
>Until a browser that adheres to the standards 100% arrives, we are all going to live with the extra work. When that browser arrives then, by all means, I will wholeheartedly support it. Until that day I will keep coding seperate sections of pages for different browsers.

You're talking about something that in effect would triple the cost of Site development. If you don't mind paying for separate versions and half-baked JavaScript, then by all means make different versions. However, if you want to save time and money, making one STABLE page is the way to go.

>As an aside to this message, if we all blindly followed the standards, then all the webpages in the world would still have grey backgrounds and no graphics.

Uh, where are you pal? 1996? Why don't you give the W3C a visit and see how all those nice folks are working to make your job less complicated.
http://www.w3.org

>It took innovation (from these big companies that are trying to SCREW you) to get the internet where it is today. I think you should actually thank them for the time and effort they have invested to enable you to be in business on the Internet today.

Baz, it took one brilliant kid named Marc and a volunteer organization to get the Net where it is today. I do appreciate all that he and Tim have done. If you're talking about Micro$lop, then pull yer hed out. They're still playing catch-up (and doing a damn fine job, finally).

If you'd like to know more about where my heretical views were spawned, have a look at http://www.webstandards.org

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive
automatic replies by email)

Your Message