deadlock Message Board
[ October Full List | Reply ]

Re: Yahoo story: explain this
From Inachu at Help Desk Club on 9 Oct '00
replying to Yahoo story: explain this posted by Jim Perry

Anyone can submit your site.
Thats how it got in there.

Perhaps someone liked your information and submitted it.

I think that would be a great addition to add to the search engines.

Have the searching free but you have to be a member to submit.
This way only owners can submit a paticular url and not some stranger.

At this point and time there really is no "HONEST" search engine but from
what I have read about GOOGLE seems to be the one being the most honest.

And what I mean about that is that Google will only show a real url
and if any stealth tatics are involved then it will still only show the real url.

So this will defeat those stealth sites altogether until they learn a new trick.

I think even for a time Google also cached the website image to prove that visited the site.

Did they take this website caching offline all together?

So the answer to your question is that someone else submitted your site.

Or you used a submit program and forgot to uncheck yahoo.

Inachu
http://www.erols.com/inachu
>A common refrain on this bbs is "why won't Yahoo! list my site" accompanied by
>appropriate expressions of exasperation. Well, here's a twist. Why did Yahoo! _list_
>my site?
>
>Actually, it is not even a site. It is a page within a site. The web site is the "Palmares
>of Elite Women Cycle Racers" at http://www.wcrpalmares.org. It has been listed in
>Yahoo! (Recreation/Sports/Cycling/Women) for about a year. This came about after
>several attempts over several months, all accompanied by appropriate expressions
>of exasperation.
>
>Now, all of a sudden, two of the interior pages of that same site show up listed under
>the Recreation/Sports/Cycling/Cyclists category and I didn't even submit them! The
>listed files are at .../palmares/reinhart.htm and .../palmares/watt.htm.
>
>This appears to violate two precepts which I had previously thought to be pretty well
>established. First, that you had to submit the site in order for it to be listed (several
>times, at that). And second, that they would not usually list an interior page.
>
>Ah, but there is more. For quite some time, the Reinhart file was listed at the top of
>search engines in response to a search on "Nicole Reinhart". Now it has disappeared
>from at least the first several pages of, say, google.com. Remember, this was after
>Yahoo! listed it in its directory!
>
>There is some history to this. Nicole was tragically killed in a bicycle race on September
>17. After that event, Yahoo! carried a news story in their daily features section in which
>they referenced the page in question as an information source (apparently they found it
>by searching in their own search engines from which it has now disappeared!). Several newspapers around the country picked up on that and likewise referenced the page. In
>the next week, it received over 5,000 page calls. That is when Yahoo! listed it in its
>directory .
>
>Does _anybody_ have an explanation for this?
>
>Jim Perry

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message