deadlock Message Board
[ November Full List | Reply ]

Re: Publicizing Without Advertising
From David A on 7 Nov '00
replying to Publicizing Without Advertising posted by Linda

>Hi, all,
>
>Thanks to a few of the regulars here, the BadAds.org site is up and running, with a newsletter, free graphics, free stickers, and more.
>
>However, I have a unique problem: I need to publicize the site, but because of the nature of the site, I obviously can't use any forms of intrusive advertising (not that I would). Also, even though I sent out press releases, I know that magazines are unlikely to print anything that insults or threatens their advertisers.
>
>So far I've had luck asking sympathetic webmasters to link to the site. I plugged other consumer education URLs into linkpopularity.com and then asked the webmasters of the sites that came up to include a link to BadAds to their sites.
>
>I also got some related newsletters, like Spam News, to include a link in one issue. I've had several people request free stickers, which I hope will help spread the word some more (the stickers have the BadAds logo and URL). Finally, the search engines are just starting to index the site.
>
>That's a great start, but with a site like mine, it's easy to preach to the anti-advertising choir. What I really want is to attract average consumers who would normally be scared off by sites like Adbusters (www.adbusters.org), the Billboard Liberation Front (www.billboardliberation), etc. I want to get them to the site, get them mad, and get them to take action with the easy resources.
>
>As you can see, publicizing my site will be a challenge. I look forward to hearing any suggestions you may have for non-intrusive ways of reaching the kinds of people who are not normally searching for a site like mine!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Linda

What an odd problem you have. How do you advertise a site that denounces advertising?

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message