deadlock Message Board
[ March Full List | Reply ]

Re: Is this spamming
From Linda at When SPAM Burns YOU on 11 March '99
replying to Is this spamming posted by David A

Hi, David,

I would call what you are proposing to do spamming as well as a misuse of information. Just because people use a service doesn't mean they implicitly give their permission to receive newsletters, ads or anything else from that service. This has been proven when software companies send ads to people who have downloaded their shareware or freeware--the recipients are generally not very happy.

As a writer, I personally get very annoyed when I interview a company for an article and they stick me on their e-mail press list, even though the information is definitely targeted. And I *hate* it when I post my resume to a job board, for example, and immediately get spam for a headhunter service.

Spam isn't about content and relevance. Spam is UBE--Unsolicited Bulk E-mail. So even if your e-mail is targeted and contains information you think the recipients would like to know about, it's still considered spam in the strictest sense of the word.

People are touchy about receiving unsolicited e-mail, so I'd steer clear of anything even smacking of spam. An alternative idea is to create an opt-in list. People wishing to receive your newsletter can send you their e-mail address, or you can create a box for people to check when they post a classified ad if they want to receive your news from your site.

To read about what happened to one small business owner who used bulk e-mail, check out my article "When SPAM Burns YOU" at the URL here. This article is also in the current issue of HOMEBusiness Journal. Check your local newsstands!

Good luck with your newsletter...

Linda

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive
automatic replies by email)