deadlock Message Board
[ March Full List | Reply ]

Re: Can't understand Yahoo! - info on Altavista
From Anne at Hospital Classifieds on 14 March '00
replying to Can't understand Yahoo! posted by Anne

I just found out something interesting on AltaVista's site. It was new to me, but might not to you all. I am finally listed on Alta Vista, but noticed that while they have categories like Yahoo, I wasn't in one of them. At the bottom of the category I was interested in, it stated submit URL, I did this, and this time it asked for more info than just the URL and email - and it was to list me in that particular category.

The thing that I found interesting though was that they have a link next to "Submit your URL" that is called "Become an Editor" (part of an Open Directory Project). I went ahead and did that and it sounds like you will be able to edit/add sites to the same category that your site is in. They state that they expect you not to favor your own site over others, which I wouldn't do for ethical reasons, but it gives one the chance to make sure their site is also listed on AltaVista - I would think... has anyone else seen this and possibly have more information about it?

>Well, I am finally in Yahoo! but only in their "Web Pages" section, not the categorized "Web Sites". You can find me if you do a search on "Hospital Classifieds", but not under the sections I had submitted such as health employment: http://dir.yahoo.com/Health/Employment/Jobs/
>or Nursing jobs: http://dir.yahoo.com/Health/Nursing/Employment/Jobs/
>What is up with that??
>
>I have also tried to contact Yahoo! about banner advertising SEVERAL times by phone and email, and have yet to get any sort of response from them.
>
>The listing that Yahoo! does have under "Web Sites" seems to be done by a robot... and also due to the lack of response that I have gotten from Yahoo! for advertising makes me wonder why they don't want my money???? Is Yahoo! falling down on the job, or is it me?

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message