deadlock Message Board
[ August Full List | Reply ]

Re: Will running an identical website under several separate domain addresses cause SE listing problems/conflicts?
From Jeff on 25 August '00
replying to Will running an identical website under several separate domain addresses cause SE listing problems/conflicts? posted by Tyler

>Hello,
>
>I have developed a product that I think would be an exceptoinal seller as a home-based internet business. I would like to offer my product to a limited number of dealers. My concern is that I will lose interested parties by not offering a pre-built website to go along with the product line for those who can't or don't wish to make their own. However, I do not want to have to build a new website for every time a customer elects this option. Having said this, I would like to License-out the use of MY website as long as it's running under a different domain name. Would this cause search engine conflicts or otherwise penalize all of us if we had the same site on the net selling the same products but under different domains? Would changing title and meta tags make any difference? Would it be noticed by SE's. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Tyler

I know one e-commerce company that uses the same website design but
with about 10 different domains. Unlike your situation all of the
sites are owned by the same company. There may be some minor differences
among the sites in keywords and title tags.

Each site is very large with about 70-100 pages. Each page is apparently
separately submitted to attempt to achieve good SE position. Alta Vista dropped
virtually all of their pages a few months ago. They rank well in some
SE's and very poorly in others.

I'd be very careful submitting the same site under different domain names.
SE's know the price of domains and hosting has dropped so that cloning
sites is now cheap and easy. Better to build one great site, I think.

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message