deadlock Message Board
[ November Full List | Reply ]

Re: double meta keywords-content
From Hope on 14 Nov '00
replying to Re: double meta keywords-content posted by ac

Cloaking is where a webmaster serves one page to the spiders and a different page to the viewer. What you see is NOT what a spider would see. If someone is cloaking, they design a page that is very spider friendly. It is targetted to specific keywords and spiders. When that spider comes to look at the site, the cloaking software identifies the spider and gives it the exact page that was made for it. When you or I go to the site, we are seen as a visitor and displayed another page. I hope this helps. If not, let me know.

>Hope, what do you mean when you say 'cloaking'? thanks..ac
>
>
>>You competitor is probably cloaking, if they are getting decent rankings for those tags. What you are seeing is meant to mislead you.
>>
>>>Thank you very much for your quick responses. Actually, the meta tags I copied for this posting belonged to my competitor..and interestingly, he's ranked in the top 5 for most search engines. which is why I looked at his HTML. I find it peculiar how such messy meta tag structure can still list him so highly.
>>>
>>>any thoughts on why this is so?
>>>
>>>mahalo nui loa for all your help,
>>>ac
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>I agree with HOPE but the keywords might do well on Excite.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>I would first start with no keywords and use the merits of your site.
>>>>
>>>>Then after a few months tracking your rankings you may have to add a few keywords in the alt tag then perhaps use meta tags.
>>>>
>>>>Also do not forget that a fresh site is always better then just changing keywords/metatags.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Real changes to a site are noticed by indexing bots.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Inahcu
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Looking at those meta tags tells me one thing... SPAM!
>>>>>
>>>>>You should NEVER repeat a word more than 2 times. I would suggest you use something like this instead. Not all search engines read meta tags anymore, but the ones that do take them seriously. What you had listed would make it very hard to get into search engines and your wouldn't rank at all.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>><META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="hawaiian shirts aloha tropical Women's Dresses wedding">
>>>>>
>>>>><TITLE>Hawaiian Shirts Main Page</TITLE>

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message