deadlock Message Board
[ May Full List | Reply ]

Re: What happens if I change my meta tags after getting indexed?
From Dale on 16 May '01
replying to Re: What happens if I change my meta tags after getting indexed? posted by Dale

>>I'm getting ready to submit my first web site to search engines and I thought I would like to make some last minute changes to my titles and meta tags. The problem is that I discovered my site can already be found through Yahoo and Hotbot. (I'm not sure about others.) And surprisingly, it comes up fairly high.
>>
>>I hate to mess up a good thing. What will happen if I change my titles and meta tags?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Darvin
>>
>
>Changing a Title after being indexed will give people a 404 error.

Here's a question and answer from an html expert, this is where I got my info from,
Posted by DB on Apr. 15, 2001
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows 98; Total Internet)

Well one more Rookie question, Once a search engine has picked up a page from your site...what happens if you can the page name, anything? One of Mine showed up as Link6 on a search engine though a keyword search? TIA

Posted by Peter Evans on Apr. 15, 2001
Browser: Mozilla/3.0 (Win95; U)

: Well one more Rookie question, Once a search engine has picked up a page from your site...what happens if you can the page name, anything?

Then your server will present a 404 page not found message to the person who takes the link. And you might consider replacing the page at the old address with one that points to the new address.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message