deadlock Message Board
[ May Full List | Reply ]

Re: What happens if I change my meta tags after getting indexed?
From Greg G at Newbuyer.com on 17 May '01
replying to Re: What happens if I change my meta tags after getting indexed? posted by Dale

>>Changing a Title after being indexed will give people a 404 error.
>
>
>Here's a question and answer from an html expert, this is where I got my info from,
>Posted by DB on Apr. 15, 2001
>Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows 98; Total Internet)
>
>Well one more Rookie question, Once a search engine has picked up a page from your site...what happens if you can the page name, anything? One of Mine showed up as Link6 on a search engine though a keyword search? TIA
>
>Posted by Peter Evans on Apr. 15, 2001
> Browser: Mozilla/3.0 (Win95; U)
>
>: Well one more Rookie question, Once a search engine has picked up a page from your site...what happens if you can the page name, anything?
>
>Then your server will present a 404 page not found message to the person who takes the link. And you might consider replacing the page at the old address with one that points to the new address.
>

It depeneds on what your definition of a 'page name' is. Changing the HTML file name will result in a 404 when accessed (unless of course you upload another file with the original name).

Changing the title (i.e. what is in the <TITLE> </TITLE> tags in your HTML code) will have no effect on whether the page can be displayed regardles of where the visitor came from (including a SE listing using a previously indexed title).

I have a number of search engine listings for a couple different sites that use old page titles. They will not be updated until the SE re-indexes the site.

Make sense?

Greg B, Webmaster
Newbuyer.com LLC
http://www.newbuyer.com/
"We Help People Shop"

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message