deadlock Message Board
[ April Full List | Reply ]

Re: PHP vs ASP
From nulled at Quasisoft on 30 June '01
replying to Re: PHP vs ASP posted by Biju Gopinath

Ok here are some reasons why PHP is better than ASP.

1) Portability. Concider this. Would you rather learn ASP which is windows based only. Or PHP which is EVERY OS based. Concidering apache has 58% of the market share of webservers running on Liunx boxes, PHP is the clear choice. And you will get that many more contracts as there are more jobs in PHP. ( You can always boats you know ASP to clients and use the PHP to ASP converteer and finish off the convertion by hand. ;)

2) If you are a C programmer, PHP will be "cake" to learn. It uses the same syntax with { } curly braces, where as ASP is a Visual Basic syntax language and to me a bitch to learn cuz I am a C programmer. Also the C style syntax looks to be the dominate style and here to stay. ( IE Java and C# are both following the C syntax why not ASP... cuz M$ is a freak of a company)

3) PHP is easy to install, has TONS and TONS of free scripting code available.

4) I am not sure if ASP allows this but you can actually create C++ style CLASSES! and Memeber functions! Once you start using PHP you will start to feel more and more like you are programming in a high level language then a scripting language.

5) All the <stdio.h> functions that C uses, PHP uses and more. So, you dont have to go and remember the names of all the functions. They are all there if you know C. strcmp(), strstr(), printf(), etc.

6) PHP is SO SO SO easy to mix with HTML. Example if you want to print a PHP variable in some html you do this <?=$myVar?> thats it!

I could go on and on about how much PHP is SO much better than ASP. Its like this... a great language was born in 1970 called C. And has stuck around since. Why change the syntax? PHP hasnt yet ASP tried to be its own animal changing up syntax like programmers need the extra burden.

long live PHP and may ASP rot in hell. :)

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message